CEST Time Zone
Future Earth Day “International Cooperation for Research on
Wednesday 21 September 2022
Room 108, Sorbonne University, Paris, France
9:00 – 12:00 CEST – The French sustainability science community: challenges and perspectives (in French)
9:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m.
Research perspectives opened up by the end of the IPCC work cycle and by the ongoing work of the IPBES
- Valérie Masson-Delmotte, Laboratory for Sciences of Climate and Environment, Co-Chair of Working Group 1 of the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- Paul Leadley, Université Paris Sud, Ecology, systematics and evolution laboratory (ESE), Spain. Global assessment Lead Author, Multidisciplinary Expert Panel of the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)
10:15 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.
10:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Round table - The sustainability sciences: challenges and perspectives for the French community and its international collaborations
- Nathalie Blanc, National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS), Laboratory of social dynamics and recomposition of spaces (LADYSS)
- Estienne Rodary, Research Institute for Development (IRD), Knowledges, environment, societies (SENS)
- Xavier Capet, Oceanography and Climate Laboratory: Experimental and Digital Approaches (LOCEAN), CNRS
- Isabelle Goldringer, Quantitative Genetics and Evolution (GQE), National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food and the Environment (INRAE) (tbc)
- Hervé Fritz, CNRS, Laboratory of Biometrics and Evolutionary Biology (LBBE) (tbc)
12:00 p.m. – 13:30 p.m.
13:30 – 18:30 CEST – First plenary of Future Earth’s 2022 General Assembly, open to all
1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Opening words: French Ministry of Higher Education and Research (speaker to be defined); Kristie Ebi and Cornelia Krug, Future Earth Assembly co-chairs
2:00 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.
International cooperation to face the challenges of the coming decade
- Valérie Masson-Delmotte, Atomic Energy and Alternative Energies Commission (CEA), Laboratory of Climate and Environmental Sciences (LSCE), France. Co-Chair of Working Group 1 of the IPCC
- Unai Pascual, Basque Center for Climate Change, Spain. Global assessment Lead Author, Multidisciplinary Expert Panel of the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES)
2:55 p.m. – 3:55 p.m.
Recent research outcomes from the Future Earth community
- How marine sciences integrate with IPBES. Lynne Shannon, Marine Research (MA-RE) Institute of the University of Cape Town, South Africa. Future Earth Global Research Networks: bioDISCOVERY, IMBeR
- Health and challenges ahead. Kristie Ebi, Center for Health and the Global Environment (CHanGE), Washington University, United States & World Health Organization (WHO). Future Earth Global Research Network: Health KAN
3:55 p.m. – 4:25 p.m.
4:25 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Recent research outcomes from the Future Earth community (cont’d)
- Urban transitions and sustainability: agency as a key lever to unlock opportunities and expand possibilities. Shuaib Lwasa, Urban Action Lab, Makerere University, Uganda. Future Earth Global Research Network: Urban KAN
- 10 Facts about Land Systems. Ariane de Bremond, Centre for Development and Environment, University of Bern, Switzerland. Future Earth Global Research Network: Global Land Programme
6:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.